Due to the Coronavirus, this event is cancelled.
Deep Creek Hot Springs near Hesperia, CA
Deep Creek Hot Springs is a popular, clothing optional, skinny-dipping spot on U.S. Forest Service land. It's got (1) hot springs, (2) a cold creek, (3) beach-like areas and rocks to hang out on.
- Trail Length: 4 miles RT
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,000 feet
- Trailhead Elevation: 4400 feet
- Difficulty Rating: Moderate
- Terrain: The trail is very narrow with steep drop-offs in some sections. There are two very steep sections. Some areas have loose sandy soil. Stream crossing may be up to 3-4 feet deep. The return hike is uphill with average slope of 8%
Meeting Location: 8 AM at Hunter's on Arenas - click here for Google map directions. If you plan on driving direct to the trailhead you can find some directions on the Deep Creek Volunteers website - click here. Let us know if you'll meet us at the trailhead (we'll wait for only a few minutes).
Expected Time Of Return: 6:30 PM or later. We may stop in Yucca Valley for dinner.
Registration for this hike is required to acknowledge waiver electronically.
Road conditions to trailhead: Deep Creek is about 100 miles (2.5 hours) from Palm Springs and the last 6 miles of driving is on a washboard dirt road where you should have a high clearance vehicle. We will park at Bowen Ranch which is private property. Parking costs $10 per person (bring exact change). GPS coordinates for the Bowen Ranch House are: 34.363631, -117.162044 or N34 21.507 W117 09.871. Click here for driving directions.
Getting to the hot springs themselves requires wading across a cold creek.
Bring: Ten Essentials (click here), water (2 to 3 liters recommended), lunch and snacks. Hat, sunscreen and layered clothing are recommended; something to sit on (a towel is good enough), water shoes for the sometimes slippery hot tubs, gas money for carpooling and five-dollar bill for parking. Hiking sticks can come in handy at times. You might also consider bringing a kitchen size garbage bag to cover your backpack during the creek crossings. Sturdy hiking footwear and adequate drinking water are required. Carry Emergency Contact Information (ICE).
Carpooling is encouraged and may be available if offered by a driver at Hunter's. You are responsible for arranging you own transportation or ride share. If you do carpool, please contribute to the driver's round trip gas cost.
Weather Policy: Inclement weather cancels. We'll send a cancellation email out.
Photos: Please ask before taking photos of people. Click here to see photos from some of our prior trips to Deep Creek.
USFS website: Click here.
GOPS Naked Policy: Click here.
Hiking Requirements: Click here.
- We started hiking down (1.8 miles) to the creek from the Bowen Ranch parking lot at 11:05 AM. We started crossing the creek at 11:54 AM.
- We started hiking up the trail at 3:57 PM and arrived at the top at 5:18 PM (in very warm weather).
- Elevation at the creek: 3,624; at the top: 4,427. 803 feet elevation change over 1.8 miles)
Scott: VPO-PS@GreatOutdoors.org (click here); or
Ed: Webmaster-PS@GreatOutdoors.org (click here)