Andreas and Murray Canyon Trails
Due to rain, this hike is now scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 8. Please update your registration when you know whether or not you can attend on the new date. Sorry for any inconvenience. For your information, Indian Canyons is open on Christmas Day with a special admission price of $10 per car. Original date was Dec 26.
This will be a slow-paced hike through one of our region’s most scenic areas, full of colorful, rocky canyons and unusual palm groves. We will begin with an easy nature walk through Andreas Canyon, followed by a an out-and-back hike to the Seven Sisters waterfall. We will cross back and forth over a stream several times on large rocks that can be slippery if the weather has not been dry. Trekking poles may be helpful.
- Meet Location 1: 9:00 am at Hunters Bar, 302 E Arenas Rd, Palm Springs, CA
- Meet Location 2: 9:30 am at Andreas Canyon Trailhead
- Time: 4.5 hours
- Trail Length: 5-6 miles
- Total Elevation Gain: 200 feet in the 1.2-mile Andreas Canyon loop, 600 feet in the the 3.9-mile Murray Canyon out-and-back.
- Difficulty Rating: Moderate + (gradual ascent, mostly easy but with a few strenuous sections and several stream crossings)
- Type: Well-trodden trails
- Bring Ten Essentials (click here), water (2 liters recommended), lunch and snacks. Hat, sunscreen and layered clothing are recommended.
- Carry Emergency Contact Information (ICE).
- Sturdy hiking footwear with good tread and adequate drinking water are required.
- Contact hike leader: Howard Goldberg: Email click here
Each participant must pay the Agua Caliente Indian Reservation entry fee ($9 per person, $7 for seniors 62+) at the Indian Canyons tollgate, just past the south end of South Palm Canyon Drive. Because cars may be lined up at the tollgate in season, carpooling is encouraged. You are responsible for arranging you own transportation or ride share. Drivers should proceed to the Andreas Canyon parking lot (a clearly marked right turn after the tollgate). After passing the porta potties, turn left and consider parking across the bridge near the Murray Canyon Trailhead sign, since that’s where we will end up.
Weather Policy: Inclement weather cancels
Health Problems/allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the hike leader that may affect your ability to complete the hike..