The hills are alive with the sound of Great Outdoors!
If that sounds familiar, it should! Time to dust off your lederhosen, get your packages of Wiener schnitzel thawed and join your friends of Great Outdoors (GO) for a fun filled weekend in the the Austrian Alps, A.K.A. the hills of Santa Barbara County, for our 41st annual conference jamboree, October 11th - 13th, 2019.
'The Sound of Great Outdoors' is this years theme, so be prepared for music, song and Julie Andrews! Well, not Julie Andrews in person, but reprising her role as Maria in the iconic movie: 'The Sound Of Music'.
We will kick off the weekend with a Friday night sing along while watching the movie, where Maria prances across the Austrian Alps, is able to piss off a bunch of nuns, marry a stogy ex-military officer, trick the Nazi's and completely accessorize 7 children by repurposing the household drapes all through music and dance! A movie that still warms the hearts of millions after it's initial debut 54 years ago!
The particulars are as follows:
Friday, Oct 11th
Arrive and check in after 4 PM.
5:30 pm Meet and greet tea hosted by SB/VC chapter. Dinner on your own
7:00 pm Outgoing Corp. Board meeting*
7:45 pm Movie sing along 'The Sound of Music'
Saturday, Oct 12th
8:00 am Breakfast hosted by SB/VC chapter
9:00 am General Business meeting, Corp Board elections, by-law changes**
10:00 am Incoming Board Meeting***
10:00 am Day hike lead by Kyle Richards
11:00 am Outings-Calendar meeting****. Lunch on your own.
11:30 am Outdoor Experience Training meeting****
6:00 pm Potluck - Bavarian theme
Prepare your favorite dish to serve 4 to 6 people
Serve in your own dish with serving utensil
The SB/VC chapter will supply dinner plates, cutlery, napkins, drinking cups and soft drinks.
7:00 pm Awards and special recognition
Raffle prize drawing for fabulous prizes!
Yes, we will be selling raffle tickets throughout the weekend!
8:00 pm Musical entertainment
Sunday, Oct. 13th:
8:00 am Continental Breakfast hosted by SB/VC chapter
12:00 pm Check out time
* Attended by current Corp Board and Committee Chairs.
** Attended by outgoing Corp Board, Chapter Delegates, Committee Chairs. We elect a Corp. Chair, Secretary and Financial Officer. The Chair then appoints Committee Chairs.
*** Attended by the newly elected Corp Board and Committee Chairs.
**** Attended by VPO's of each Chapter and other interested parties.
Note: If you are not part of the current Corp Board or Chapter leadership but interested in learning more about how GO is governed, you are welcome to attend and observe any of these meetings!
It's the generous gift of people volunteering their time and expertise that makes our club great!
Everyone attending this event must individually register. This allows our system to verify your membership and for you to electronically acknowledge and agree to our Terms & Conditions. Please specify if you are a tent camper, coming in an RV or if you are a sharing a tent or RV with another member.
- Current GO Member: $65.00 per person
- Not currently a member of GO: $90.00 per person*
*Includes one year membership in a GO Chapter of your choice.
- Cachuma Lake Recreation Area - Google Map Directions - Click Here
- 'Mohawk Shores' group site
- Address: 1 Lakeview Dr. Santa Barbara, CA 93015
- Recorded camp info: (805) 686-5054
RV's welcome, no hook ups though.
Parking is limited so car pooling recommended!
Note: Quiet time is 10 PM to 7 AM. Radios, generators, and any activities that annoy neighboring campers are not allowed.
Description of the group site: Close to lake, includes six 16-ft permanently affixed picnic tables under shade trees, adjustable BBQ pit with food prep table, fire ring, two water faucets and four horseshoe pits. 100 yards from restrooms and showers (coin operated). Limited cell phone coverage.
To know more about the camp site, rules and it's amenities go to:
To learn more about the area and other fun stuff to do go to:
What to bring:
Your 10 essentials - https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html
Bring a camp chair, camp table, camping cooking gear, food, warm/cool weather clothing, potluck item for Saturday night, 1 bundle of firewood. Optional: other 'accessories' to decorate and liven up your camp in the 'Sound of Music Theme'.
Pets: Dogs must be attended and leashed (6 ft or less) at all times and have proof of rabies vaccination. There is a separate day fee per pet (to be paid separately by the pet owner when entering the park) of $3 per dog/per night.
Health Problems/allergies: It is the responsibility of participants to carry on their person a record of significant allergies, medications and medical history in the event of medical emergency. Discuss any medical concerns with the hike/trip leader if you wish.
Payment in full confirms your reservation. Cancellation for a full refund must be received by Oct 5th.
What's the difference between a regular GO camp out and a conference camp out?
Conference is held once every year in October (as required in the by-laws) where delegates from each of the five chapters and the Corp board come together to:
- Nominate and elect a new Corp board for the up coming year.
- Vote and amend any by-law changes that may occur.
- Schedule and coordinate the next years camping trips.
- Special awards and recognition will be presented.
Who puts on the Conference?
- Hosting conference is by one of the five chapters on a rotational basis.
- This year is hosted by the Santa Barbara / Ventura County/ Chapter
- Next year will be hosted by the Orange Co./ Long Beach Chapter and so on.
Do I need to attend any of these business meetings?
- Only if you are a chapter delegate, a Corp committee chair or corp. board member.
Can I come to any of these meetings if I'm not on the corp. board or delegate?
- Yes! We encourage anyone who is interested in how our organizational leadership works to come and observe our meetings!
What if I'm not part of the Corp board or delegate, can I still attend the conference?
- Yes! There will be other planned activities and events you can take part in.
- This is a great opportunity to hang out and get acquainted with other GO members that you would not normally meet outside your chapter designated area!
Can I attend the day activities without camping?
- Yes, there is a $10 fee per vehicle per day to be paid when you enter the campground. If you plan on attending only for the day, let the trip leader know so they can plan on your arrival!
Any other questions - contact Trip Leader Brian Miller at 805-407-9001 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to know more about the history and founding of GO go to
Great Friends Great Times Great Outdoors!