Lots of activities being planned: Hikes, cowboy breakfast, group dinners, Bingo, raffle, and more. Dale has some great prizes for the raffle and bingo!
ALMOST FREE CAMPOUT
The Great Outdoors Palm Springs (GOPS) is giving back! This is a low cost, member appreciation campout. We'll be staying in a group site where both tents and RVs are welcome. The weekend will include one complimentary dinner and a hot breakfasts and continental breakfast.
Hurkey Creek Campground is located in the San Jacinto Mountains (4,500') near the town of Mountain Center and Idyllwild. Our large group camp site is nestled in a grove of pine trees and offers a wide range of nearby opportunities, including beautiful scenery, a group fire pit, hiking, 4x4 trail ride and group activities. Just 9 miles away, the mountain town of Idyllwild offers the chance to shop, dine or visit the picturesque town’s museum. If it’s water you like, Lake Hemet is nearby. Check campground white board for updates and hike/outing details.
Meals: We are providing a complimentary meal on Saturday night:1 hot dogs with veggie option, buns, baked beans, potato salad, green salad, chips, desserts and bottled water. Enjoy a cowboy hot breakfasts on Friday and a continental breakfast on Saturday mornings prepared by Chef Robert. A potluck dinner for Friday night. Bring a dish to share.
GOING GREEN! Please bring your own plates, cups, mugs, eating utensils, napkins, paper towels, camp soap, etc. There are water spigots located in the camp or in the nearby restroom for washing dishes.
Schedule Of Events
Thursday, May 11
- 2 pm - Check-in at gate (your name will be on a list)
- Before dinner - Relax and enjoy. Check white board for any activities
- 6 pm - Meet and Greet. Bring appetizer to share. Bring your favorite beverage
- 8 pm - Group campfire activities*
Friday, May 12
- 7 am - Coffee time
- 8 am - Complimentary hot breakfast
- 9:30 am - Hike * Hurkey Creek trail to waterfall approx. 3 miles
- 1:30 pm - Check white board*
- 6 pm POTLUCK Dinner bring a dish to share
- 7 pm - Group Campfire activities - bingo and popcorn
Saturday, May 13
- 7 am - Coffee time
- 8 am - Complimentary continental breakfast
- 9:30 am - Hike*
- 1:00 pm - 4x4 drive Thomas Mt. or Idyllwild shops*
- 6 pm - Complimentary dinner1
- 7 pm - Group campfire activities - check whiteboard*
- 7:15 pm - Raffle- great prizes!
Sunday, May 14
- 7 am - Continental breakfast
- 8 am - relax and enjoy. Check white board for any activities*
- 1 pm - Clean up our campground area. Check out. Safe travels home.
- Hike PCT N74 4.3 440' Info or PCT-South_74S 5.4 700' Info
- Hike K Flat to waterfall from Apple Canyon Rd
- Hike Gold Hill Jacks Shack 4.9 735' Info
- Hike Cedar Spring 5.3_ 1400' Info
- Hike Forbes-Morris Ranch 3.3 Info
- Hike Lake Hemet Dam
- Hike Hurkey Creek trail 3.3 370' Info
- Hike Pines to Palms upper section 4 mi Info
- Thomas Mt. 4x4 16 mi Info
- Santa RosaTruckTrail - Toro Peak 25 mi RT Info
- Idyllwild shops and restaurants
Price: $35 for 3 nights for GO members. If not a GO member, you may join for $25 for a one (1) year membership. You can click here to join. Cancellation: A refund of $25 available if you notify trip leader of cancelation by May 5.
Campsite Amenities: We will be in group camp B which has restrooms with flush toilets, running water and hot showers that take quarters, picnic tables, fire rings, water and level campground spots for your tent or RV. There is a small store near Lake Hemet with limited supplies. Quiet hours are from 10 pm to 6 am. Additional park rules click here. Park brochure: click here
Amenities For RVs: This is a dry camping event. There are no hookups. Fresh water spigots are available around the campsite. Camp area is level throughout our site. Generators are allowed 6 AM – 10 PM (but please be considerate of the tent persons sleeping near you).There is a dump site, for a fee, located at Lake Hemet campground.
What to Bring: Name tag, camp chair, camping/cooking gear, food, cash for raffle, warm/cool weather clothing, one bundle of firewood per person. Please do not bring particle board, old furniture, plywood or construction materials. Firewood is for sale at nearby Lake Hemet and maybe at the campground. We recommend you read our suggested Ten Essentials.
Directions: The Hurkey Creek Campground is located at 56375 CA Hwy 74, Mountain Center, CA 92561, 4 miles SE of Mountain Center off of CA-74. Map click here. There are 3 approaches available: Hwy 74 from Palm Desert, Hwy 243 from Banning, and Hwy 74 from Hemet.
Climate & Elevation - Average Temps: High 74, Low 51, 4500' Weather forecast click here
Contact Trip Leader: Scott Connelly email click here
Photos: To see some photos from prior trips to Hurkey Creek - click here
Pets: Pets are welcomed - leashed, controlled, picked up after. $2 per dog, per day - pay upon entry if requested.
Health Problems/allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the trip leader that may affect your ability to complete this event.