Few places in California capture your spirit and imagination like Mt. Whitney and the visually stunning Alabama Hills.Hiking the Sierras with movie history!Hikes, docent led tour of Alabama Hills, private movie screening at the museum and hosted BBQ dinner. We have two campsite locations: tents and RV’s. Tent sites are at Whitney Portal Campground (group site) at 8600 feet and RV sites located in Lone Pine at the Boulder Creek RV Resort. Driving distance between the two sites is 20 minutes. RV participants need to reserve sites at their own expense. Request one of the 6 sites reserved by Great Outdoors. Boulder Creek RV Resort (directions) 760-875-4243.
Schedule of Events
Thursday July 26
· 2:00 pm - Check in for tents at Group Sites 1 and 2 Mt. Whitney Portal group site (directions). RV check in Boulder Creek RV Resort. Sites: 25-30
· Explore Lone Pine. Visit the Museum of Western Film History (directions) in Lone Pine on your own.
· 5:15 pm Optional group dinner Mt. Whitney restaurant, Menu click here .
· 7:00 pm - Private screening atMuseum of Western Film History- a classic western filmed on location in Alabama Hills. Approx 50 min run time.
Friday July 27
· 10:00 am - Hike the Mt. Whitney trail 5 miles round trip, 1700’ elevation gain to the PERMIT ZONE BOUNDARY starting from the Whitney Portal Campground. Lunch at Lone Pine Lake 10,000 ft. Hike is rated moderate-strenuous-high elevation and 1700' elevation gain.
· 4:00 pm - ‘Tea’ at group tent site Whitney Portal camp, group sites 1 & 2.
· Dinner on your own.
Saturday July 28
· 9:00 am - Hike - Cottonwood Lakes. Meet at intersection of Horseshoe Meadow Rd. and Lubken Canyon Rd. Map - click here We will then drive to the trail head and hike to Cottonwood Lakes area. Minimal elevation gain, out and back hike approx. 3 hrs. hiking time. Pack your own lunch for on the trail.
· 3:00 pm - Meet at Movie Museum for docent led (by the County Film Commissioner) driving tour of the Alabama Hills Movie sites.
· 6:30 pm - Hosted BBQ dinner at the Boulder Creek RV Resort clubhouse. Beef, turkey, salmon, veggie burgers, salads, fruit, dessert.
· Carpool & Park to the left (west) of the Office as you enter from the highway. Limited Parking – carpool recommended
Sunday July 29 1 pm - Check out
What to Bring:Ten Essentials, camp chair, camping/cooking gear, food, warm/cool weather clothing and firewood, insect repellent Deet or Promitheon.
Facilities: The tent campground is adjacent to Whitney Creek. Paved roads, vault toilets and drinking water are provided. Bears frequent the area, and campers are required to use the bear-proof food storage lockers provided in the campground. Firewood is available for purchase on-site, and a small convenience store with showers is nearby. No pets in group tent site.
Fishing Information - A one-day license is available at local sports shops.
Directions: From U.S. Highway 395 in California, travel to the town of Lone Pine.
- The Whitney Portal Campground (click here for directions) for tents is 13 miles west of Lone Pine on Whitney Portal Road.
- The Boulder Creek RV Resort (click here for directions) is located on U.S. Highway 395 on the southern outskirts of the town of Lone Pine, CA.
Climate: Hist. Avg.: 60° /80° Expect warmer than normal temps
Refunds: Cancellation for a refund (minus service fee of $5.00) must be received by July 19, 2018. RV owners responsible for cancelling their own site reservations.
Trip Leaders: Scott Connelly: Email Lloyd Queen: Email
Photos: Click here for photos of Whitney Portal
Health Problems/allergies: It is the responsibility of participants to carry on their person a record of significant allergies, medications and medical history in the event of a medical emergency. Discuss any medical concerns with the hike leader if you wish.
Note: You must be a paid member of one of the five Great Outdoor (GO) Chapters to register for this event. If not currently a member, you can join - here. Other GO Chapter members who are not registered on the GOPS website should contact our Webmaster (click here) who will verify your membership and then add you to our website so you can register for this event without paying for another membership. Each member must individually sign into their own account in order to register for this event.